If you’ve ever wanted to use your laptop screen as a monitor, there’s good newsit’s possible! With the right cables and a little bit of configuration, you can use your laptop screen to view and work on another computer. Here’s how to do it.
Things You’ll Need
- Laptop with an HDMI port
- HDMI cable
- Another computer with an HDMI port
- Connect your HDMI cable to the HDMI port on your laptop. If your laptop only has a Mini DisplayPort, you can use a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.
- Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the other computer.
- On your laptop, press the Windows key + P to open the Project menu. If you don’t see the Project menu, you may need to press the Fn key + Windows key + P.
- Click Duplicate to use your laptop screen as a duplicate of the other computer’s display. Click Extend to use your laptop screen as an extension of the other computer’s display. Click Second screen only to use your laptop screen as the only display.
- If you clicked Duplicate or Extend, you may need to select the correct display in the Multiple displays drop-down menu.
- If you clicked Second screen only, you may need to select the correct display in the Display drop-down menu.
Now you can use your laptop screen as a monitor for another computer!