It can be frustrating when you’re trying to work on your laptop and the screen goes dark every time you close the lid. But there’s a simple fix. With just a few clicks, you can change a setting so that your monitor will stay on when you close your laptop’s lid.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Control Panel.
- Click on Hardware and Sound.
- Click on Power Options.
- Click on Change Plan Settings next to the power plan you’re currently using.
- Click on Change Advanced Power Settings.
- Expand the Portable/Laptop Power Settings section.
- Expand the Lid Close Action setting.
- Click on the drop-down menu next to the setting and select Do Nothing.
- Click on the Apply button and then the OK button.
Now, when you close your laptop’s lid, the screen will stay on. You can still put your laptop to sleep by selecting the Sleep option from the Start menu or by pressing the Sleep button on your laptop.
If you want to be able to close your laptop’s lid and have the screen turn off, you can just reverse the steps above. Open the Control Panel and follow the steps until you get to the Lid Close Action setting. Then, select the action you want to happen when you close your laptop’s lid from the drop-down menu.