Adding an external monitor to your HP laptop can give you the extra screen real estate you need to get work done, or simply allow you to enjoy movies and games on a larger display. While most HP laptops come with the necessary ports to support an external monitor, there are a few things you’ll need to do to get everything set up and working properly.
First, you’ll need to gather a few things. In addition to your HP laptop and the external monitor, you’ll need:
- An HDMI cable
- A Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter (for some HP laptops)
- A VGA cable
- A DVI cable
Once you have all of the necessary cables and adapters, you can begin connecting your external monitor to your HP laptop. The specific steps you’ll need to take will vary depending on the type of monitor you’re using and the type of ports available on your HP laptop, but in general, you’ll need to:
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable (or the Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter) to the port on your HP laptop.
- Connect the other end of the HDMI cable (or the Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter) to the port on your external monitor.
- Turn on your external monitor.
- Press the F4 key on your HP laptop’s keyboard to toggle between your laptop’s display and the external monitor.
If you’re using a VGA cable or a DVI cable, the process is similar, but you’ll need to connect the cable to the appropriate port on both your HP laptop and your external monitor. Additionally, you may need to press a different key to toggle between displays; on some HP laptops, you’ll need to press the F2 key, while on others you may need to press the F8 key.
Once you’ve connected your external monitor and switched to it, you can adjust the resolution and other settings to suit your needs. To do so, simply:
- Right-click on your desktop and select Display Settings from the menu that appears.
- Click the Identify button under Multiple displays to label your displays.
- Click the drop-down menu under Display and select the external monitor.
- Click the Advanced display settings link.
- Click the Display adapter properties link.
- Click the List all modes button under Display Modes.
- Select the resolution you want to use from the list of available options and click OK.
- Click Apply to save your changes and close the Display Settings window.
And that’s all there is to it! By following the steps above, you should have no trouble connecting an external monitor to your HP laptop and using it to extend or mirror your display.